For many homeowners, solar power can seem unattainable. There’s a level of unfamiliarity with how it works and concerns about the costs associated with installation. You’ve probably asked yourself … are residential solar panels worth it?
Between the potential financial savings and the contribution towards creating a cleaner planet, the benefits of solar power in Virginia are clear.
Solar Panel Benefits for Your Home
Solar panels aren’t just good for the environment – they can potentially have major impacts on your monthly electric bill costs and your home value over time as Richmond continues to grow. Here are a few of the benefits of installing solar panels on your home:
- Potentially lower electric bills. Solar panels can generate the most energy during the spring months when the weather is cool but the days are long. However, you could see year-round cost benefits with solar panels from POWERHOME SOLAR. That might mean less money going to the power companies and more staying in your wallet.
- More reliance on a renewable resource. The sun’s power is in no danger of running out! Using solar panels on your home means you can be less reliant on power companies and the power grid, so you know you’ll always have the energy you need.
- Source of backup power. As we continue to see the effects of climate change in the form of power outages and rolling blackouts, these events are less likely to affect your home when you include a battery backup system along with your solar panels. Backup batteries store excess energy that your solar array generates, so you can still power portions of your home when solar power isn’t available.
- Increased home value. Homebuyers in Richmond see solar panels as an upgrade and a boost to a home’s value, research shows. Zillow found that solar panels on a home can raise a sale price by more than 4%, while a Department of Energy study concluded that buyers would pay an average of $15,000 more for a home with an “average-sized” solar array than they would for a home with no solar panels.
Solar Panel Benefits on the Environment
Yes – solar energy is miles better for the environment than nonrenewable energy. Here’s why:
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Traditional electricity sources use fossil fuels like coal and natural gas that release harmful greenhouse gases into the environment and worsen air pollution. Solar power is better for the environment because it does not release harmful pollutants into the atmosphere.
- No water usage. While traditional electricity sources and other, alternative sources like hydropower rely on water, solar power does not, reducing water pollution and causing less strain on the world’s water supply.
Monetary and Tax Benefits of Solar Panels
In 2020, the state of Virginia passed landmark legislation called the Virginia Clean Economy Act (VCEA), which creates more incentives for homeowners to transition to solar energy and removes barriers to doing so. The VCEA also requires the state’s two largest utility providers, Dominion Energy and Appalachian Power, to stop selling the energy generated by fossil fuels, with a target date of 2050.
Energy Independence in your Richmond, VA Home
If you’re ready to potentially save on your electricity bills and generate clean energy, POWERHOME SOLAR is the most trusted name in solar energy in Richmond.
Our team of solar experts will help you choose the perfect solar array for your home. Request your free quote today!